Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: eSecurityPlanet column on Software Security

From: Jari Pirhonen <japi () iki fi>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 21:29:58 +0100

Kenneth R. van Wyk wrote:

if you're interested.  It's on the topic of Software Security.  I should
point out that it's primarily written for an IT Security audience.  It's slow
progress convincing them that Software Security is more than running a pen
test against an application a week before it goes live in the data center...

Hmmm. I consider myself as a IT security expert although I admit to have
some software developer background (15+ years ago). I've been advocating
software security several years now since most software project
managers, designers, developers, etc. doesn't seem to have a glue.

When I talk to developers and discuss about software security, I usually
say that I shouldn't be talking here, but it just seems that no one else
volunteers. I've seen developers to be astonished that there's more in
security than anti virus products.

Hard work, though. It's still too common attitude among software
projects that "security issues are covered by IT security during
implementation phase".

Just to point out that you have friends among us ;-)

regards,
Jari

--

Jari Pirhonen