Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: SPI, Ounce Labs Target Poorly Written Code

From: James Walden <jwalden () eecs utoledo edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:49:20 +0100

Blue Boar wrote:
To clarify, I'm talking about things like passing unfiltered user input
to a system shell, or a native API, something like that.

True.  In the case of passing a user input string to the shell or a database
server, you're accepting what's potential a program as input.  However, if your
language's type system considers that program to be a string, there's no way
your compiler can perform relevant security checks.

I've read papers on the topic of adding new data types like relational database
tables or XML documents to existing languages (as Xen does for C#), expanding
the type system to deal with such data directly instead of reducing it to a
string that the compiler can't automatically type check.  However, there are
always going to be new programs to pass data to, and strings will always be a
convenient choice of packaging new unknown data types, so I don't see this
problem going away in the future, though particular attack instances like SQL
injection may disappear.

--
James Walden, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor of EECS