Secure Coding mailing list archives

RE: opinion, ACM Queue: Buffer Overrun Madness

From: "David Crocker" <dcrocker () eschertech com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:08:45 +0100

I agree that converting legacy code to use one of the techniques I suggest isn't
always going to be easy and inexpensive. My posting was aimed at those saying
that something better than C/C++ should be used for new security-critical
applications (which I agree is preferable), and I was pointing out that there
are ways of using C++ so as to avoid its troublesome "array=pointer" feature.

Converting legacy code so as to conform to my second suggested style may be
worthwhile if the code is known to have buffer overrun problems that need to be
addressed. The normal solution would likely involve adding an extra "buffer
limit" parameter to many functions that take a pointer to a buffer as a
parameter. Changing the type of the buffer pointer from "X*" to "Array<X>" (or
from "const X*" to "ConstArray<X>") is no more difficult and leads to clearer
code. The semantics of Array<X> mimic those of X*, so very little extra code
need be written, apart from introducing the buffer overflow checks where they
are needed, and changing each initialisation of the form "X* x = a" (where a is
an array of length n) to "Array<X> x (a, n)" to initialise the limit part as
well.

As for system calls that use arrays, these are indeed a problem if using STL
classes instead of arrays, but not if the Array and ConstArray classes are used
to regulate access to ordinary arrays. As for unsafe system calls, the
documentation of any system or library call should include a guaranteed maximum
value it will use as an index into the array parameter it is given, and a check
can be inserted prior to the call that the buffer is large enough. System or
library calls that provide no such guarantee (such as "gets" in the ANSI C
library) must never be used.

Of course, there are many other flaws in C and C++ and I advocate applying the
MISRA-C rules (other than Rule 1 if using C++) as well, together with additional
rules to avoid some other dangerous features of C++.

David Crocker
Consultancy & contracting for dependable software development
www.eschertech.com