Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: opinion, ACM Queue: Buffer Overrun Madness

From: "Gary McGraw" <gem () cigital com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:57:14 +0100

Language makes a huge difference, eapecially in the realm of bugs.  So not using C and C++ is smart.  Use Java or C#
instead.  But poor programmers can, in fact, screw up in type safe languages as well.  One major problem can be seen in
the design flaw category of defects.

Studies show that the split between bugs and flaws is 50/50.  That means language choice is important but will not
solve the problem.

gem