Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Anyone looked at security features of D programming language compared to Spark?

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:38:57 +0100

Blue Boar wrote:

Crispin Cowan wrote:

Dynamic type checking (or any kind of run-time fail-stop checking)
enhances security (attacks are halted) but degrades reliability
(processes that might live with a harmlessly inconsistent state may
be halted).

Degrades reliability of a "correct" program?  Or only degrades
reliability of a program with bugs, harmless or not?

The latter. Run-time fault checks will never go off if the program does
not have faults.

  If it's the latter, I would assume QA would want to see the latter,
so the bug could be squashed.  I'm assuming, of course, that one wants
to also squash "harmless" bugs.

QA will want to squash the bugs it sees. Run-time fault checking helps
find *some* of those bugs, if QA checks the code paths that expose those
bugs. Static type checking, OTOH, finds latent bugs that no one thought
to check for, at the cost of not finding some bugs that are statically
undecidable. Using both is of course the safest.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com