Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Origins of Security Problems

From: ljknews <ljknews () mac com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:23:20 +0100

At 9:52 AM -0700 6/17/04, Blue Boar wrote:
ljknews wrote:
A significant difference from DECnet is that with TCP/IP any user on the
system can open up a channel (to use a neutral term) to receive incoming
traffic, potentially providing a capability to the outside world without
the least bit of authentication.  With DECnet (Phase IV or Phase V) on
VMS such actions require getting a special privilege from the system
manager (potentially granted to a specific program rather than to the
programmer).

Hm?  You mean they had to have privs on VMS to allocate a listening port?
 What
does that matter?  DECNet doesn't only run on VMS.

But the vast majority of current DECnet usage is on VMS.

Years ago, I used to be a network admin at a place that had thousands of
Win95 and
Mac boxes running DECNet.  No such restriction, there.  Had it been
DECNet/OSI
that won instead of IP, I don't believe there would be any significant
difference.

I don't know the OSI protocol stack, but the NCP side retains the
restriction.
Given the security-mindedness of DEC's implementors the OSI stack might also.