Secure Coding mailing list archives

Origins of Security Problems

From: "Mark Rockman" <mrockman () acm org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:27:54 +0100

I had no idea I was promulgating a syllogism.  In fact, I did not intend to.
My point was that the world changed and the software didn't nor did people
change their behaviors to compensate.  Remember, the Internet until 1992 was
a community of well-behaved techies:  netizens.  Software design was not
much required to consider bad behavior.  Bad behavior could be punished by
expulsion.  No longer.  Commerce demanded the old software be deployed on
"Al Gore's invention" (heh heh) despite its manifest problems.  Eventually
software will adapt and people will be taught how to take the fun out of
abusing the Internet.  Naturally, if one does not consider input validation
and defensive programming in one's methodology, one's stuff will break.