Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Is developer education a lost cause?

From: Richard Moore <rich () westpoint ltd uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:55:56 +0000

Robert Shields wrote:

A developer only writes code to meet project requirements. The
requirements for a typical project will not mention security, and even
if it did, how would you test whether or not an application is secure? A
typical tester will not be able to test this unless they are specially
trained. Thus, the decision to write secure code needs to made at a
managment level and incorporated into company wide policy.

I tend to agree with this. Basically, I think that a lot of security
comes down to specifying how invalid input (or state transitions) should
be handled. A system that isn't designed with the possibility of errors
in mind is unlikely to ever be a) Stable or b) Secure.

Cheers

Rich.