Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Is developer education a lost cause?

From: "Joe Teff" <joe () joeteff com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 03:58:15 +0000

I beleive that educating developers is the single best method to improve
the security of software. Corners get cut every day because of
constraints of one type or another. That is a fact of life and I don't
see it going away. By educating the builders of the code, at least they
understand what is possible and can start taking better precautions. By
educating the decision makers, we can start redefining which corners just
can't be cut. Or at least what the risks are if they are cut. There are
too many instances where decisions are made because the potential result
is not understood.

Part of my job is to educate developers and architects about web
application security. It is amazing how many do not understand the
weaknesses of various technologies. There is tendency for developers to
only think in terms of how thier software should be used; not in how
someone may misuse it. This tendency causes vulnerabilities like SQL
Injection, command injection, cross-site cripting, buffer overflows,
hidden field/parameter/cookie tampering, direct browsing, directory
traversal, etc.

That doesn't mean they will write 100% safe code forever. Most developers
tend to program more defensively once they are exposed to the possibility
of vulnerable practices.

My next goal is to start educating the decision makers.

joe teff