Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Re: Application Sandboxing, communication limiting, etc.

From: "Jared W. Robinson" <jwr () xmission com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:33:48 +0000

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 04:03:34PM -0800, Crispin Cowan wrote:
Jose Nazario wrote:

SELinux. LIDS. systrace (Linux, BSD, MacOS X). a few things on FreeBSD i
can't recall.

SubDomain predates all of these except for SELinux (which has roots that

How does SubDomain compare to SELinux, systrace, etc? What are the
strengths and weaknesses of each?

Does any distribution besides Immunix use SubDomain? What percentage of
applications have SubDomain policies written for them? I imagine it's a
lot of work to write these policies. I also wonder if a SubDomain policy
could be translated into an SELinux rule set automatically.

Thanks,

- Jared