Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Opinion re an interesting article on Linux security in Linux Journal

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:06:02 +0000

Kenneth R. van Wyk wrote:

I think that we're seeing several of the features that have plagued the
security of desktop Windows systems being increasingly incorporated into the
desktops of Linux systems.  Further, the Linux desktop is truly maturing and,
along with that, we're getting closer and closer to a critical mass of users.

So why do I feel that this is a Secure Coding issue and not (just) an OS
security issue for Full-Disclosure and similar groups to discuss?  IMHO, the
issues that we're dealing with get straight to the heart of the design of the
desktop environments that are being deployed.  Sure, Linux has grown up with
an arguably better separation of administrative and desktop users from day
one, but even just a user-level email worm can be pretty frustrating (in case
you haven't noticed from the size of your inbox in the last month or so).

What you're getting at is that clueless users want dangerous features,
and that some programmers don't understand why it's a bad idea to
provide them, and/or they don't have the option to leave them out (boss
says they have to be there, etc...)  Further, cluesless users will pick
the dangerous features if it is at all an option, i.e. if they can pick
Lookout for Linux as a MUA, they will.

This is from personal experience supporting users, family, etc... that
have no understanding of what "happens" to an attachment that they save
to disk.  If the default directory they save to is not the same default
that comes up when they launch Word and do File-Open, they are lost.
If/when they ever endup running Linux, their understanding of
filesystems is not going to increase.

I don't see a lot of room for secure programmers to help out.  Sure,
they will not write MUAs that have the bad behavior, and the user will
pick a bad one.  The programmer can write secure helper apps, but all
programs that the MUA can invoke have to be secure.  The assumes that
the MUA doesn't simply let the user launch ELFs or something.

                                        Ryan