Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Open source fertile ground for foul play?

From: "Jean-Francois Poirier" <jeff () horslimites org>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:15:38 +0000

  As a proponent and firm believer in Open Source as a long-term development
  model, I would even pose the following point:

  even though such subversion of the source code tree is possible (and
  *has* happened, most notably with the Linux kernel v2.4, if I recall)
  the incentive for full disclosure and transparency is much less in
  a closed source environment; Microsoft, for one, would definitely be
  reluctant to come out in the open and recall Windows 2000 or XP, publicly
  declaring that their source repository was corrupted.

  referring back to aforementioned break-in in the Linux community, when
  the backdoor was found through code audit and removed, it was instantly
  disclosed and as much information as possible was circulated on it, to
  insure that everyone concerned got a chance to update and remove the
  vulnerability.

  so I would counter that although the openness of the codebase makes
  it *somewhat* more vulnerable to attack (I would believe that mr. Russell
  has never tried submitting patches to open source software such as the
  Kernel), closed source would be even *more* dangerous from this point
  of view, as other incentives (business rules, reputation and so on) would
  make the vulnerability go by unknown to most up until the flaw was
  exploited.  and even then, it might take months for a vendor to respond
  to a disclosure (as is seen frequently seen from reports on bugtraq).

  therefore, i contend that the situation exposed by mr. Russell exists
  in both environments, but that the potential risk to end customers is
  magnified in closed source environments due to business and human
  factors, and the "better protected" claim is definitely open to debate.