Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: The problem is that user management doesn't demand security

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () krvw com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:06:19 +0000

On Monday 08 December 2003 17:11, Erik van Konijnenburg wrote:
Treat security as one more aspect to be covered during requirement
analysis, and you may have an opportunity to get a consious
decision on security from end user management.

Yes, I also like that approach a lot.  And, it's an opportunity/challenge
(depending on which side of the coin you're looking at) to educate the
application owner about the business risks associated with the application.
Ask questions _like_ "how much is this app worth to the company?", "how much
will an outage of 1 {hour|day|week} cost the company in lost {revenue|
customers|reputation}?".  The answers to these questions should, at the very
least, help drive the specifications and design.  I've seen this work quite
well, FWIW.  Of course, it does require the development team to have an
understanding of and appreciation for these issues, starting at the earliest
phase of the development process--and that has to include the techies as well
as management...

Of course, if you're developing COTS software, you have a much
tougher job selling security.

No doubt.  I think that that is at least in part due to the fact that someone
developing special purpose enterprise-level applications has the benefit of
knowing what the business process is that his app will be running -- hence,
there's at least the potential to having a better understanding of the risks,
and then preparing for them.

That's not to say that special purpose apps are inherently better designed and
implemented, but I believe that they often have an advantage, even if the
developers are not explicitly aware of why.

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk