Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: The problem is that user management doesn't demand security

From: "Jared W. Robinson" <jwr () xmission com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:42:42 +0000

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 01:34:42PM -0800, Dana Epp wrote:
We need to assume that the end user does not understand the risks,
and our products must therefore be even stronger to mitigate threats to the
computing platform.

There is no real solution here until vendors and users start becoming
accountable for their actions.

Maybe someone should popularize the idea of software contracts, wherein
customers expect the vendor to supply a reasonable level of security for
a certain time-frame.

I think its irresponsible to ship products that have KNOWN
vulnerabilities without first associating that risk with appropriate
safeguards for the end user. We wouldn't accept buying an unsafe car from
someone like Ford, so why should we accept it in the field of software
development?

Is a Ford Explorer less safe than a Volvo station wagon? Under what
conditions? If it is less safe, does that mean that Ford is
irresponsible for selling the Explorer to customers? Or does it mean
that customers are responsible for their own safety because they made
the purchasing decision?

So, I guess you're saying that customers need to know the risks of
running software up-front so that they can make informed purchasing
decisions.

Unfortunately, risks tend to change rapidly in the software world.  How
do customers deal with changing threats? How do they keep informed? Is
the vendor liable when a new threat is introduced that makes the
software unsafe? Or should the customer fork over more money for a
patched or redesigned version?

I believe that security is a process, not a state of being. Yes, we need
to do a better job at educating people. Yes, we may need more secure
software. But security isn't the only risk to consider when delivering
products -- it's one of many risks that should be considered.

Economics towards the vendor is no longer a good enough reason.

Studies are showing the significant impact and cost that bugs have in the
different stages of design, development and testing and are astronomical as
they have to be applied to the customer. It is much to costly to both the
vendor and the customer to routinely patch weak designs in the field.

If that is true, then economics *will* sort it out. In fact, it *is*
sorting it out right now. It may not happen as quickly as we want it to,
but it is happening.

- Jared Robinson