Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Security Test Cases for Testing

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () KRvW com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:27:39 +0000

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 20:12, Gene Spafford wrote:
We label too many surprises as security problems.  The fact that we
are employing ill-designed software in the first place is the
security problem.

I couldn't agree more.

The initial posting in this thread presumed that all testing is done during/
after the implementation, however.  What about "testing" during design?
Naturally, testing during the design--and I'm including requirements &
specifications phases here in a broad sense--is going to be very different
than running tools that detect SQL insertion, XSS, buffer overruns, etc., in
source code.  I've seen some design-time testing methodologies and tools
(e.g., formal methods for proving safety-critical designs against logic
flaws), but it's certainly an area that isn't as practiced as
implementation-time testing.

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk