Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: I don't beleive open source is always the answer

From: "George W. Capehart" <gwc () acm org>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:28:10 +0000

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 10:21 pm, Joe Teff wrote:

<snip>

The idea of taking the source and making your own change is also
unrealistic. Since this list is all about security, I know everyone
here would agree that any such change would require a great deal of
testing. You've then just made the solution your own product to
support.

<wise-acre remark>
As opposed to blithely installing the latest patch from Microsoft as
soon as it is available without taking it into the lab and seeing what
it breaks first?
</wise-acre remark>

I have two thoughts:

(1) Don't see that this is all that different from supporting systems
that were developed from scratch in-house or for a system for which the
source was purchased with the intent of implementing internal
modifications.

(2) Any organization that doesn't run *any* new version of software
(whether it be open source, closed source or in-house developed)
through a change control process and regression and stress testing
before putting it into production deserves what it gets . . .

"But then, I could be wrong."  <Apologies to Dennis Miller>

/g
--
George Capehart

BOFH excuse #389: