Politech mailing list archives

McCain, Feingold defend campaign finance law, tell bloggers not to worry [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:02:05 -0500

Previous Politech messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/03/08/says-democratic-fec/
http://www.politechbot.com/2005/03/03/fec-commissioner-warns/

-Declan

---

http://feingold.senate.gov/~feingold/statements/05/03/2005308652.html

Statement of Senators John McCain and Russ Feingold On Internet Communications

March 8, 2005

As the primary Senate authors of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002, we have spent years fighting to clean up elections and ensure that powerful monied interests do not drown out the voices of everyday Americans in our political system. Those interests don't want to give up any of their power, and their main tactic has been to try to whip up fears, however unfounded and unrealistic, about reform.

The latest misinformation from the anti-reform crowd is the suggestion that our bill will require regulation of blogs and other Internet communications. A recent federal court decision requires the Federal Election Commission to open a new rulemaking on Internet communications. The FEC will be looking at whether and how paid advertising on the Internet should be treated, i.e., should it be treated differently than paid advertising on television or radio. This is an important issue -- since BCRA outlawed soft money, we need to make sure that the FEC doesn't try once again to subvert the law by creating loopholes. So far, the FEC has not even proposed new regulations. When it does so, there will be ample opportunity for comment and debate about whatever proposal the FEC makes.

This issue has nothing to with private citizens communicating on the Internet. There is simply no reason - none - to think that the FEC should or intends to regulate blogs or other Internet communications by private citizens. Suggestions to the contrary are simply the latest attempt by opponents of reform to whip up baseless fears. BCRA was intended to empower ordinary citizens, and it has been successful in doing so. We will continue to fight for that goal.

# # #