Politech mailing list archives

Monsanto wins key biotech patent lawsuit in Canada [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 00:33:43 -0400

Excerpt from court opinion:
1 This case concerns a large scale, commercial farming operation that grew canola containing a patented cell and gene without obtaining licence or permission. The main issue is whether it thereby breached the Patent Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. P-4. We believe that it did. 2 In reaching this conclusion, we emphasize from the outset that we are not concerned here with the innocent discovery by farmers of "blow-by" patented plants on their land or in their cultivated fields. Nor are we concerned with the scope of the respondents' patent or the wisdom and social utility of the genetic modification of genes and cells -- a practice authorized by Parliament under the Patent Act and its regulations.

News coverage:
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040521.w4mons05211/BNStory/National/
"The Supreme Court of Canada made biotechnology history Friday with a 5-4 ruling that a Saskatchewan farmer violated a patent Monsanto Canada Inc. held on genes of genetically engineered canola seeds"