Politech mailing list archives

Diebold documents now on Freenet, safe from censorship? [fs]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:26:07 -0800

---

From: "FreeNet" <liberation () gawab com>
To: declan () well com
Subject: Re: Students receiving cease-desists from Diebold...
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:52:46 GMT

For Politech:

Ian Clarke, creator of the Freenet network, said: "Most
censorship is retrospective, it is generally much easier to
curtail free speech by punishing those who exercise it
afterward, rather than preventing them from doing it in the
first place. The only way to prevent this is to remain
anonymous."

It seems that no longer does this ideal apply only to, say,
Chinese dissidents; it now applies in full to US citizens who
are attempting to exercise their first amendment rights to free
speech. I am not willing to open myself to the hassle or risk of
a subpoena, but I am still willing to do my part. As such, the
Diebold mailing list archives have been inserted into Freenet
for anyone to retrieve with impunity.

While I support Joe Hall, the others at Why-War, and all of
those who are taking the risk to host a public mirror, my goal
is to ensure the availability and longevity of the information
itself, regardless of legal threats. Diebold will, I fear,
continue to shut down mirrors which have a readily identifiable
contact point. Perhaps a Freenet mirror will be impervious to
such shakedowns.

The 11MB lists.tgz file, mirrored at several locations which are
listed at http://why-war.com/features/2003/10/diebold.html, is
now also available on Freenet. The key is:

CHK@sgOjWAy4g-0bf0m5biyqnEzWloENAwI,OXw8OfHPfsmLd068BtICKg/lists.tgz

The above should be one single unbroken line when attempting to
retrieve the key via Freenet.

I have not yet located a copy of the GEMS executable or other
Diebold-related information aside from the mailing list
archives, but if I manage to come across copies of such, they
will be inserted into Freenet just the same.