Politech mailing list archives

Why Fed spam bill is a "critical law, " from America Online [sp]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:46:14 -0500

---

AMERICA ONLINE, AN INDUSTRY LEADER IN THE FIGHT FOR TOUGHER ANTI-SPAM LAWS, APPLAUDS BIPARTISAN CONGRESSIONAL AGREEMENT AND ACTION ON TOUGH NEW SPAM LAWS

Dulles, VA - November 21, 2003 - America Online, Inc., the world's leading interactive services company, today issued the following statement concerning the bipartisan agreement on Federal anti-spam legislation (S. 877) that is being adopted by Congress:

"On behalf of our members, AOL applauds this bipartisan agreement on the CAN-SPAM ACT legislation, and is pleased that it will soon be sent to the President. This law will be a significant weapon for the online industry in the ongoing fight to can the spam and thwart the spam kingpins. This is a critical new law that will help us turn the tide against spam in the online medium for good.

"This bill provides meaningful tools to law enforcement and Internet Service Providers to hold spammers accountable for their actions. We're very pleased that the tough enforcement provisions in this new Federal legislation will allow enforcement efforts to pursue the most egregious spammers who use the worst kind of spamming techniques to send the most offensive and unwanted email to our members. The legislation targets the state-of-the-art computer fraud techniques used by spammers, and provides for strong criminal and financial penalties."

About America Online, Inc.

America Online, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Time Warner Inc. Based in Dulles, Virginia, America Online is the world's leader in interactive services, web brands, Internet technologies and e-commerce services.

For More Information, Contact:

Nicholas Graham, AOL Corporate Communications,

703-863-3373 (cell)