Politech mailing list archives

Why the Fed spam law is probably pretty problematic after all [sp]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:34:40 -0500

---

From: "Sanford Olson" <solson () mailbag com>
To: "Declan McCullagh" <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: [Politech] Congress finally poised to vote on anti-spam bill [sp]
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:38:46 -0600

Hi Declan,

I'm no lawyer, and that is certainly a long document with all kinds of
legalese..

But, my concern is "...as long as the messages are obviously advertisements
with a valid U.S. postal address or P.O. box
and an unsubscribe link at the bottom."

 - Most spam *messages* are already obviously advertisements.  They just
have misleading/misspelled subject lines.

 - Whose valid U.S. postal address?  Anyone's?  "1600 Pennsylvania Ave" is a
good one to use.

 - Most spam already has an unsubscribe link at the bottom, but it is just
used by the spammers to learn that the e-mail address was a good one and
that the receipient is gullible.

Regards,
Sanford Olson

---