Politech mailing list archives

FC: Replies to is Iraq's Internet still functioning?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:54:14 -0500

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04570.html

---

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:47:48 -0500
To: declan () well com
From: Brian McWilliams <brian () pc-radio com>
Subject: Re: FC: Is Iraq's Internet still functioning?

Declan,

Despite the ease with which the USA could unplug Iraq from the Net ( see http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/03/06/iraq_geeks/ ), the country's Internet services appear to functioning as of this moment.

Web surfers have encountered intermittent problems reaching Uruklink.net, the Iraq government's main website, after the US launched its initial attack Wednesday night. But those access difficulties were apparently due to a surge of Internet visitors rather than to damage from the bombing.

In fact, traffic to Uruklink.net is hitting record levels, according to counters at the site. The homepage of Uruklink.net had over 10,000 visits yesterday, and is on pace to hit 14,000 today. That would represent the busiest day at the site since the counter was installed in December. The previous traffic record occurred on Feb. 9, when the site's address was published in the Drudge Report.

Iraq's traffic spike is not unique. News sites and portals around the world are reportedly seeing heavy traffic, as users hit the Internet in search of the latest war news.

Iraq's two main e-mail servers, mail.uruklink.net and mail.warkaa.net, were still responding to pings today. The website of Iraqi's satellite TV service (reachable at http://62.145.94.28 since it lost its domain iraqtv.ws), as well as BabilOnline.net, a major newspaper, were also reachable.

While Iraq's sites are available from outside the country, it's not immediately clear whether Iraqis are able to access the Internet since the initial attacks.

The log files for Uruklink.net appear devoid of the usual numerous hits from users of Satellite Media Services and Atlanta International Teleport, the two satellite companies that supply Iraq with Internet service.

It's possible that Iraq's government has imposed some sort of block on Internet use, such as closing its public Internet centers. Or perhaps Iraqis have more important things on their minds.

Brian

---