Politech mailing list archives

Roger Clarke replies to Lessig on existing anonymous systems [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:45:10 -0500

---

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 10:59:39 +1100
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>, Lawrence Lessig <lessig () pobox com>
From: Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke () xamax com au>
Subject: Re: [Politech] Larry Lessig replies to Politech over limiting anonymity [fs][priv]

G'day Declan, hi Larry

The conversation's quickly generating more heat than light, because it's started on the wrong basis.

As a combination consultant-researcher-advocate, I'm well aware how vital it is to find ways to make uncomfortable-but-important lines of argument palatable to a variety of different interests. Without that, the necessary dialogue simply won't happen.

The calming pitch I've been using in this area for years is as follows:

1.  Anonymity *is*, and will be.

    Whether it's good and/or bad is a great argument to have at the bar.
    But it's discussions at an ethical / moral level are inevitably
    divisive and consequently seldom ever achieve anything.  So let's not
    go there *at all*.

2.  Pseudonymity 'is' too, but it isn't good enough yet.

    To be effective, pseudonymity needs to combine technological,
    organisational and legal elements.

    And to attract people to use it, it must be credible, in the sense
    of not being able to be broken simply by the uttering of some magic
    incantation like 'Al Qaeda'.

I had conversations with Phil Zimmerman at CFP many years ago about how we harness secret-sharing technologies more effectively. But I've never been able to get the doctoral candidates I wanted to work on it.

So what we need is a task force that blends the technical expertise (Phil Zimmerman, Bruce Schneier, Steve Bellovin, Eric Young, Ian Goldberg and similar), with the legal perspective (Larry Lessig, Marc Rotenberg, Michael Froomkin and similar) and the policy perspective (Declan McCullagh, Deirdre Mulligan, Simon Davies, Stephanie Perrin and various other dissimilar), with the aim of producing a series of white papers on effective pseudonymity services that will complement the anonymity services that are bound to exist in any case.

What we *don't* need is for Politech readers to work themselves up into a lather on the ethics and political economy of anonymity, and to thereby divert people's energies and effort away from the real work.

Regards  ...  Roger