Politech mailing list archives

How to delete your child's DNA from databank in Michigan [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:47:42 -0500

---

[Please delete my name and e-mail]

Parents with children born in the State of Michigan can request that their
children's blood samples be destroyed.

When our son Dylan was born at the University of Michigan Hospital, the
blood sample was taken without parental consent and over my explicit
objections.  Two techs who worked for the state drew the blood sample,
placed five drops on the top of a carefully marked card, and left without
speaking to anyone else.  Several doctors came in ahead of the techs, began
giving us discharge instructions at the time the sample was taken, and they
stood in my way as I tried to approach Dylan.  They couldn't understand how
I would mind that a blood sample was being gathered by the state, merely
saying that "it's required by law" and that "it doesn't hurt (too much)".
They later gave me several pamphlets explaining the importance of newborn
screening.  (Indeed, it is, but I can ask my doctor to do it too)

I spoke with Harry Hawkins of the Michigan Department of Community Health,
who assured me that the samples were kept at an undisclosed warehouse which
locked behind a chain link fence, and that they would be destroyed after 21
1/2 years.  However, he agreed to destroy the sample if both parents
requested it.

His mother and I sent Harry Hawkins a letter stating, "Please destroy all
samples of our son's blood. If any identifying data such as a DNA
fingerprint has been obtained from his sample, please destroy that data
also."  (with all of the required details below)

I later received a notarized form indicating that the blood sample had been
destroyed and witnessed.  There was no mention of any DNA information, but I
have no reason to believe that they gathered any, so I don't intend to
pursue the matter further.

Regards,

PS: Letters are to be sent to:

Harry C Hawkins
MI Dept of Community Health
Bureau of Laboratories
3350 N Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Lansing, MI 48909

Letters must include:
o A request to destroy the samples
o A copy of the father's drivers license
o A copy of the mother's drivers license