Politech mailing list archives

FC: Update on Nissan Motor vs. Nissan.com suit, trial in Oct. 2002

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 23:10:56 -0400

This has been going on a while -- here's an article we ran on Wired News in Jan. 2001:

-Declan

---

Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 20:03:29 -0400
Subject: Nissan URL dispute ncchelp.org
From: "S. Ron Butler" <essron () speakeasy net>
To: <declan () well com>

Declan:

I've never submitted, love your work.

Have you seen this one?:  http://www.ncchelp.org/The_Story/the_story.htm

There is an update for April, and claims "This case has been denied national
media coverage due to the automaker's huge advertising resources
($400,000,000 per year in the US only)".

It amazes me they have the gall to bring a $10M suit against someone for
registering their own name, which reminds me, I meant to copyright my DNA
this week... ( http://www.dnacopyright.com/ ).

It is difficult to see the logic in being subject to the DMCA, but not to
have implicit right to our own DNA and nomenclature.  Doubleplus ungood.

Thanks for your diligent information,
Ron
S. Ron Butler
http://essron.org/personal.html
William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration, 2003
University of Rochester