Politech mailing list archives

FC: Internet radio fees may push hobby webcasters off the air

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 01:48:32 -0500

---

From: "Richard Uhl" <ulyssesaudio () hotmail com>
To: declan () well com
Cc: kurt () kurthanson com
Subject: Internet Radio Performance Rights Fees
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:32:37 -0500

Declan-

I thought you and other Politech readers would like to know about the recent Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel ("CARP") decision that internet radio Webcasters should pay "performance rights" fees of 0.14¢ per song per listener for Internet-only Webcasters, 0.07¢ per song per listener for broadcast radio simulcasts, and 0.02¢ per song per listener for non-commercial radio simulcasts. This is more than 100% of most Webcasters' gross revenues, including the "revenues" on my tiny (10 listener max) station www.ulyssesaudio.com. I maintain the station for free, with no advertising or revenue source of any kind. This will effectively shut down mine and most other independent internet radio stations.

In perspective, with my max listenership (12 songs/hour x 10 listeners max X 24 hours/day x 365 days/year x 0.14¢) that equals more than $122,000 per year. Remember when I said I had no revenue sources?

Many Webcasters had hoped that the CARP's recommended royalty rate would be based between 3% (proposed by webcasters, in line with ASCAP, BMI, etc. composer royalty fees) and 15% (RIAA proposal to webcasters).

Note that this is ALL based on the DMCA demand that performers be compensated for perfect digital copies. However, that reasoning is flawed since most internet radio isn't copied, merely streamed, and the broadcast is usually much lower quality than "perfect."

Check out www.saveinternetradio.org for more information. Thanks for your time.
r. ulysses uhl
webmaster, broadcaster, shoutcaster
www.ulyssesaudio.com