Politech mailing list archives

FC: Peekabooty vaporware already raises alarums at network providers

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:38:19 -0500

Politech archive on Peekabooty:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=peekabooty

Well, maybe "vaporware" is a touch too strong. But wasn't it supposed to be released last summer?

-Declan

---

From: "Steven C. Williams" <stevewil () glo org>
To: <declan () well com>
Cc: <doran () brandx com>
Subject: choking peek-a-booty
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:36:54 -0800

hi, Declan and Doran:

Ominous note sent to http://peek-a-booty.org about how encrypted browser might be stifled
from distribution:

quoted from http://www.peek-a-booty.org/pbhtml/article.php?sid=16

"The software hasn't even been released and yet its already setting off bells.
It seems that a nameless backbone provider for our host is worried that we might run
Peekabooty clandestinely somewhere we're not supposed to...

"We recently received this very pleasant email from addr.com, our host:"

>Per the request of our backbone provider we have taken a look at your site and it is
within our Acceptable User Policy and have informed them.
However, please understand that the software itself, if run on our servers would be
against our Acceptable User Policy.

Best Regards,
John C. ........
System Administrator
administrator () addr com
Addr.com Support

"So, for the record: we promise that we will not to run Peekabooty on your servers."

There will undoubtedly be more salvos thrown before this one is over...

best,

 steve
Steven C. Williams, PhD
stevewil () glo org