Politech mailing list archives

FC: The ethics of hacktivism, from Shift.com's Mark Moyes

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 01:48:47 -0400

---

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:33:11 -0400
Subject: the ethics of hacktivism
To: declan () well com
From: "Mark Moyes" <mark () shift com>

Hi Declan -

Been a silent reader of politech for a while, and thought you and your
readers might be interested in an interview we've just published on
Shift.com. I talked to Oxblood Ruffin (Cult of the Dead Cow and founder of
Hacktivismo) about the ethics of bringing democratic free-speech tools
into countries with undemocratic regimes (in China or the United Arab
Emirates, say): Among other things, I asked him if he's concerned about
people being imprisoned or worse for using Six/Four or Camera/Shy; we
talked about the big U.S. IT companies who are helping these countries
out, and discussed the possibility of military hacks from China and
others. In a nutshell, the interview focusses on the question of
responsibility: If private hacker groups don't consider themselves
political, but are fighting a political battle on an international scale,
are they accountable for the outcome?

Here's the url: http://www.shift.com/content/web/396/1.html

Thanks!
-mark.