Politech mailing list archives

FC: Will Canada's Internet providers become spies?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:43:23 -0400

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-955595.html?tag=politech

   Will Canada's ISPs become spies?
   By Declan McCullagh
   August 27, 2002, 12:56 PM PT

   WASHINGTON--The Canadian government is considering a proposal that
   would force Internet providers to rewire their networks for easy
   surveillance by police and spy agencies.

   A discussion draft released Sunday also contemplates creating a
   national database of every Canadian with an Internet account, a plan
   that could sharply curtail the right to be anonymous online.

   [...]

---