Politech mailing list archives

FC: U.S. Internet Industry Assn says Scientology has been reasonable

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:53:41 -0400

Previous Politech message:

"Scientology says it's threatened by 'unadulterated cyber-terrorism'"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03917.html

---

From: "Dave McClure" <dmcclure () usiia org>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: RE: Scientology says it's threatened by "unadulterated cyber-terrorism"
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:21:30 -0400

Declan:

I wanted to give you my $.02 on this, because the USIIA has on several
occasions worked with the Church of Scientology on copyright issues.
They first sought out our help when they were forced to sue ISPs in
order to get some of their material taken offline.  One ISP was put out
of business by the legal fees involved, but mostly because he was too
stupid to get competent legal advice (which we offered to help him find)
or to read the law for himself.  This was pre-DMCA, BTW.  That's one of
the reasons we fought so hard to get the ISP exemptions built into the
DMCA.

CoS was also helpful in our efforts to craft the first Notification and
Takedown agreement with the Software Publishers Association in early
1998, providing input and insights to us.

I won't comment on the Church, its doctrines, its teachings or its
copyrights -- not our place to do so.  But I will vouch that in our
dealings with CoS they have been honest, scrupulous about the laws
involved and highly sensitive to the operations of ISPs.

Regards,

Dave McClure
USIIA