Politech mailing list archives

FC: Did Florida's Jeb Bush spam voters by using Democratic mail list?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 10:50:30 -0500

[Paul points us to Dan Balz' column, which can be found here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44609-2002Mar31.html There are two obvious issues when it comes to such a list: Acquisition and use. For the first, it seems to me that the same rules that govern in meatspace should apply here. If a Democratic campaign is careless enough to give away its list of supporters, that campaign should expect others to end up with a copy. But unsolicited email is arguably more intrusive than unsolicited U.S. mail (though far less intrusive than an unsolicited telephone call), so a prudent campaign manager may wish to think twice before using it. In any case, it seems clear that what may not be prudent here should nevertheless be legal. --Declan]

---