Politech mailing list archives

FC: U.S. Geological Survey responds to caribou map worker firing

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:31:14 -0500

[Forwards snipped for clarity. Thanks to Jason Taylor and Doug Carroll for sending this along. Response to: http://www.politechbot.com/p-01827.html --Declan]

**********

***********

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:55:03 -0500
From: Julieryan () julieryan com (Julie Ryan)
To: declan () well com
Subject: Re: FC: Federal worker fired over Web map of Arctic caribou

There's an argument that pulling the already collected, compiled and
published data violates OMB A-130.  See OMB A-130 at:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars/a130/a130.html

Some of the more relevant passages:

8. Policy :  Agencies shall
1.  ...
(d) Seek to satisfy new information needs through interagency or
intergovernmental sharing of information, or through commercial sources,
where appropriate, before creating or collecting new information;

(e) Integrate planning for information systems with plans for resource
allocation and use, including budgeting, acquisition, and use of
information technology;

(k) Incorporate records management and archival functions into the
design, development, and implementation of information systems;

1.Provide for public access to records where required or appropriate.

2.Information Collection. Agencies shall collect or create only that
information necessary for the proper performance of agency functions and
which has practical utility.

3.Electronic Information Collection. Agencies shall use electronic
collection techniques where such techniques reduce burden on the public,
increase efficiency of government programs, reduce costs to the
government and the public, and/or provide better service to the public.
Conditions favorable to electronic collection include:

(a) The information collection seeks a large volume of data and/or
reaches a large proportion of the public;

(b) The information collection recurs frequently;

(c) The structure, format, and/or definition of the information sought
by the information collection does not change significantly over several years;

(d) The agency routinely converts the information collected to
electronic format;

(e) A substantial number of the affected public are known to have ready
access to the necessary information technology and to maintain the
information in electronic form;

7.Avoiding Improperly Restrictive Practices. Agencies shall:

(a) Avoid establishing, or permitting others to establish on their
behalf, exclusive, restricted, or other distribution arrangements that
interfere with the availability of information dissemination products on
a timely and equitable basis;

etc etc etc