Politech mailing list archives

FC: Pornography, privacy, and digital self-help

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 15:59:00 -0500

[Forwarded with permission. --DBM]

**********

From: TomWBell () aol com
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 15:23:58 EST
Subject: Pornography, Privacy, and Digital Self-Help
To: declan () wired com

Declan,

I enjoyed your article, "Privacy Laws: Not Gonna Happen," and thought that
you might find interesting an original argument against new Internet privacy
laws. Please see "Pornography, Privacy, and Digital Self-Help," available at
<http://www.tomwbell.com/writings/PrivJCILAb.html>.  It's going to appear
both as a law review article and, in a slightly updated format, as a Cato
Policy Briefing.  The paper also proves fun for offering a "hoisted by your
own petard" argument against the ACLU, EPIC, and CDT.

You might also find interesting the references I've include in my Internet
Law eCasebook to your run-in with Mattel's attorneys; see
<http://www.tomwbell.com/NetLaw/Ch07.html#Ch07B1>.

Tom