Politech mailing list archives

FC: U.N. tribunal asks U.S. to close web sites about trial

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:29:16 -0500

---
This is a followup to:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01746.html
---

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4977679.html

   Rwanda tribunal wants to constrain Web sites
   By Reuters
   February 28, 2001, 10:05 a.m. PT

   NAIROBI--The United Nations tribunal for Rwanda said
   Wednesday that it had appealed for U.S. legal help to curb potentially
   defamatory Internet sites maintained for two men on trial for
   genocide.

   At least one of the Web sites defamed judges and court officials
   involved in the trial of Rwanda's 1994 mass genocide, officials of the
   International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) said.

   "We are concerned that some of the statements on the Web sites are
   nothing but false and scurrilous," ICTR spokesman Kingsley Moghalu
   said. "But our major concern is the potential to use this medium to
   reveal the identity of witnesses."

   Tribunal officials are trying to regulate the Web sites by appealing
   to the countries and to the Internet service providers running the
   sites. Okali said the ICTR had asked the U.S. government "to assist us
   to look into this matter from the point of view of their laws."

   [...]