Politech mailing list archives

FC: American Family Association continues porn attack on Yahoo

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:34:22 -0400

[This is what Yahoo gets for caving in to pressure earlier this year. Now anti-porn groups can come back every week (Patrick has sent me at least two very similar press releases recently), identify discussion groups that are purportedly offensive, and compel Yahoo to take action. Since discussion areas can be created without human intervention, it's an infinite loop. And even if Patrick is successful, he'll merely succeed in driving the participants back to Usenet. Finally, if child porn exists, that's one thing -- but fantasies that Patrick finds distasteful are still protected by the First Amendment and perhaps even Yahoo's terms of service. --Declan]

*******