Politech mailing list archives

FC: Explanation of audio gear, digital out, RIAA, and copyright law

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:24:34 -0500

************

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:24:23 -0500
To: declan () well com, sameer () bpm ai
From: Pat Farrell <pfarrell () pfarrell com>
Subject: Re: FC: Followup to Audiophiles. RIAA, and electronic merchandisers

Declan,

this is probably a bit long, and maybe too technical, but it is part of the RIAA's
attempt to destroy "Fair Use". And this is politech.

http://www.politechbot.com/p-02946.html

From: Sameer Parekh <sameer () bpm ai>
Subject: Re: FC: Audiophiles find Washington ally in electronic merchandisers

        When did this happen? All the digital audio gear I've ever looked at
recently has a digital out. Who would buy a piece of digital gear without
a digital out?

While all modern consumer audio (and DVD) players have digital outputs,
to date, all of the digital outputs are disabled for high resolution audio data
(SACD or DVD-A). Current SACD simply doesn't output anything with SACD
media, altho they will output the PCM stream with 44.1/16 data. The DVD-A
release was delayed as the members of the cartel try to find a suitable
copy-prohibition scheme.

There are two fundamental problem, the first is well know to cryptographers such
as Sameer.

First: any digital data can be exactly copied. It can be enciphered so that it
is not useful with out the proper keys and algorithms, but that brings up
the hard problem of key management. Copy protection is impossible with
digital data.  The DeCSS technical failure was one of key management.
Robust key management is anathema to mass production.
You want every key to be unique, with no pattern between keys. You want your
mass production to make identical units. Rather than solving the key management
issue, the current crop of SACD and DVD-A players simply prohibit digital out.

Second, while the fundamental benefit of these high resolution media is to
allow the labels to resell the same old back catalog albums (Led Zeppelin, Beatles,
etc.) to the same folks who bought them twice already, the argument that
the labels present is that the sonic characteristics are vastly superior
to PCM 44/16. And they probably are correct (even if many of the folks
who can afford these players, CDs, and suitable speakers can no longer
hear well enough to really tell). The hard problem here is that the
labels want to watermark the analog output. And have it carry
on to second generation copies. Since the analog world is only 20-20kHz,
anything that lives through the copy process will be audible, and make it
sound worse than a 44/16 CD. So if they want to have the copy protection,
they can't sell the improved audio.

The RIAA is simply a front for the five recording labels. To see how It does not
represent the interests of the current studios, recording engineers, or
struggling artists, read any of the pro-audio trade magazines, such as
Mix, or Recording. If the labels and RIAA cared about current
performers, maybe they should show some interest in
promoting folks other than Britney, the Back Street Boys, and
60s rock groups.

Pat

Pat Farrell                                         pfarrell () onebigcd com
VP, Engineering                                 http://www.onebigcd.com