Politech mailing list archives

FC: Kuro5hin.org reader reportedly investigated by U.S. Secret Service

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:07:39 -0500

---

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:22:24 +1100 (EST)
Subject: US secret service investigates kuro5hin.org reader
From: "Ian Cumming" <ian () ids org au>
To: declan () well com

Declan,

I've only been subscribed to your list for little while, but I thought people
might be interested in this.

A poster to Kuro5hin.org (a site discussing technology, politics and culture)
was apparently questioned by the US Secret Service about a comment he
made on the site. The comment regarded methods of infecting a person with
smallpox, in reply to an article theorising a smallpox attack.

You can read about the incident on kuro5hin's temporary page (their co-lo is
moving) - http://www.kuro5hin.org

cheers,
Ian

---

Kuro5hin.org is down for unrelated reasons, but the post in question is available via Google's cache here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:hnr2WC2xC1s:www.kuro5hin.org/comments/2001/10/4/3591/14167%3Fpid%3D15+kuro5hin+lee+malatesta+smallpox&hl=en

It says:
I can think of two ways to have a decent shot of infecting the VP. Use some sort of aresolizer. Infect an suicide-ready individual. The first method seems to me to be prone to discovery if one wants to make certain of getting the VP. Given that vaccines work after infection but before onset of symptoms, hitting the VP with an aerosolizer of some sort would give a very large clue to the Secret Service as to what was happening.

The report of the visit by the Secret Service is here:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=24310&cid=2634875
At the conclusion of the interview (which involved searching my house to which I aqueisced) the agents told me that probably nothing would come of it, but the decision on whether to prosecute or not was up to the attorney general's office. I'm still not entirely sure how my comment can be construed as an actual threat, but I do understand why secret service agents are a bit high strung about now.

Kuro5hin.org's editors say:
I've talked to Lee, and believe that he's not making this up. The comment in question was this one, attached to the smallpox story. (Google cache is the best). Basically, Lee was visited at work by a couple of Secret Service agents, who asked him some questions about the comment, in an attempt to ensure that it was not a credible threat. He was a little frightened, but I don't think anything came of it. While I have great doubts about the wisdom and cost-efficiency of following up a comment like this, given that I have a really hard time imagining what kind of person could actually read that as a threat that warranted investigating, it doesn't seem like Lee's civil liberties were violated in any way, and he wasn't dragged off to some secret chamber for the third degree. Our government is doing a lot of things we Americans should probably be worried about, but I think this is just dumb, not actually evil.

-Declan