Politech mailing list archives

FC: FCC wants to yank Kevin Mitnick's radio license

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:03:06 -0500

   US to yank Kevin Mitnick's radio license

   In a five-page order released Friday, the US Federal Communications
   Commission (FCC) claims that 38-year old convicted hacker Kevin
   Mitnick is not morally fit to be a ham radio operator.

   "Mr. Mitnick's criminal background raises a substantial and material
   question of fact as to whether he possesses the requisite character
   qualifications to be and remain a commission licensee," the FCC said.
   "Given his propensity to engage in criminal activities, particularly
   those involving fraud, we have serious reservations about Mr.
   Mitnick's ability to comply with our rules and regulations in the
   future."

   What's more, the FCC reminds us, "Mr. Mitnick's prolific and damaging
   hacking career made him the most wanted computer criminal in United
   States history."

   Mitnick was convicted of hacking-related felonies and was released
   from prison in January of 2001. He's still on probation until January
   2003.

   Mitnick's had a ham radio license for about 25 years, and he applied
   two years ago for what's normally a routine renewal. He's not accused
   of making any illicit radio transmissions or any offenses that fall
   under the FCC's jurisdiction -- it's just that official Washington
   firmly believes computer hacking must be an unforgivable venal sin.

   Under FCC regulations, Mitnick's loss of his license is probable, but
   not automatic. A hearing will be scheduled at some to-be-determined
   date before an FCC administrative law judge (who, no surprise,
   typically sides with the bureaucrats). Appeals go to the full
   commission and from there to the federal courts.

   "It's just another example of them trying to harass me," Mitnick said
   Friday evening. "Now I've got to spend money to keep a ham license.
   How ridiculous."

   [...]