Politech mailing list archives

FC: Response to Harry Browne from Web White and blue

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 08:11:29 -0500

Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 16:09:07 -0500
To: JackDean () HarryBrowne2000 org
From: Jonah Seiger <jseiger () webwhiteblue org>
Subject: Harry Browne & Web White & Blue Online Debate
Cc: declan () well com, peter () webwhiteblue org

Dear Jack:

Thank you for your note.

In creating Web White & Blue, we have tried to create a place where everyone can be heard and we appreciate the Browne Campaign's participation in the Rolling Cyber Debate. We hope that you will continue to participate in this unique forum.

Web White & Blue invited all candidates who, by September 15, 2000, had qualified on enough state ballots to have a mathematical possibility of winning a majority in the Electoral College to participate in the Rolling Cyber Debate. Candidates were given placement on the front page based on their average standing in several nationally recognized public opinion polls as of September 15, 2000. All candidates are given identical format on all subpages.

In response to your questions about modifying the layout, while we welcome your suggestions, we face severe technical limitations in making substantial changes to the site at this time. Based on a formula on which all eligible campaigns were briefed in advance, we made the technical layout decision early because of the highly complex nature of the presentation, which needed to accommodate not only our site but the system of distributing the debate content to the 15 sites on the Web White & Blue network.

If the volume of email from your supporters is any indication, lots of people are taking the time to use the Rolling Cyber Debate to compare and contrast the positions of the candidates on the issues. As you know, the 15 sites which carry the Rolling Cyber Debate in its entirety each day reach more than 85% of the total US Internet audience.

We believe this format offers all participating campaigns an unprecedented opportunity to get their messages out and engage voters on a scale never before possible. The Browne campaign's energetic participation in the Rolling Cyber Debate on a daily basis since its inception has helped Web White & Blue demonstrate the value of such a system for similar efforts in the future. And, of course, any further comments or recommendations you might have for future planning would also be welcome in those considerations.

We would be disappointed by a decision by the Browne campaign not to participate because we believe that the public has benefited from your steady participation over the past thirty days. We will, of course, continue to submit to you the questions of the day (as we have the Nader campaign) should you choose at any point to change your mind.

Sincerely,

Jonah Seiger
Manager, Web White & Blue 2000 Network
<http://www.webwhiteblue.org>http://www.webwhiteblue.org