Politech mailing list archives

FC: Democratic S.C. atty general opposes "massive Microsoft breakup"

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 12:50:44 -0400

*******

Also see:
WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court let stand Monday a ruling that overturned a federal regulation requiring telephone companies to obtain customer approval before using or disclosing information about their account for marketing purposes. The justices declined to review a ruling by a Denver-based U.S. appeals court that the FCC violated constitutional free-speech rights under the First Amendment when it adopted the regulation in 1998.

*********

http://www.charlotte.com/observer/0604easley.htm

Easley discusses strategy in race for governor
June 3, 2000
By MARK JOHNSON

   Democrat Mike Easley predicts a tight race for governor against
   Republican Richard Vinroot, but doesn't sound eager for Vice President
   Al Gore's help. Trying to bolster a reputation for independence,
   Easley says his victory in the Democratic primary proves that a
   candidate can win without the party establishment.

   Easley, who declined interview requests for two weeks after his
   primary victory May 2, sat down recently to offer his preview of what
   lies ahead in the campaign.

[...]

   Q. Will you ask Al Gore to campaign with you?

   A. I would assume we'll all be campaigning together at some point. I
   didn't see the need to be the perfect Democrat in order to get the
   nomination. I felt it was important to be me and to convince Democrats
   that they needed to focus on the needs of the people rather than party
   games. I want to see the Gore campaign run a strong competitive race
   here in North Carolina. I want them to commit the resources, commit
   the effort. If they do that, I think they can win the state. In the
   end everyone has to run their own campaign and cannot expect to ride
   coattails. I don't think that phenomenon exists anymore. I don't think
   voters look at problems as being traditional Democrat or Republican
   problems. I really think there is an awful lot of ticket splitting.
   There's not any room on the ticket for a weak campaign, top or bottom.

   Q. You were among the state attorneys general who filed an antitrust
   lawsuit against Microsoft. In its federal trial, is the company
   getting the punishment it deserves?

   A. Whether the judge decides to break them up or control the conduct,
   either way there will have to be changes in the way Microsoft
   operates. I'm not one of those who's been pushing too hard on the
   remedy. I think the court is going to find the right remedy. I've
   tried to be somewhat of a voice of moderation in the negotiations. I'm
   not convinced that a massive breakup is necessary.

[...]

*******
More:
http://www.mikeeasley.org/