Politech mailing list archives

FC: Transcript of DVD trial in New York: Defense vs. the Judge

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:46:24 -0400

[These are my favorite parts from yesterday's transcript. Note the repeated bickering -- and dare I say? -- grandstanding. --Declan]

   1   UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
       SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK
   2   ------------------------------x

   3   UNIVERSAL CITY STUDIOS, INC.,
       et al,
   4
                      Plaintiffs,
   5
                  v.                           00 Civ. 277 (LAK)
   6
       SHAWN C. REIMERDES, et al,
   7
                      Defendants.
   8
       ------------------------------x
   9
                                               July 19, 2000
  10                                           9:00 a.m.

  11   Before:

  12                       HON. LEWIS A. KAPLAN,

  13                                           District Judge

  14                            APPEARANCES

  15   PROSKAUER, ROSE, L.L.P.
            Attorneys for Plaintiffs
  16   BY:  LEON P. GOLD
            CHARLES S. SIMS
  17        CARLA MILLER
            SCOTT COOPER
  18
       FRANKFURT, GARBUS, KLEIN & SELZ
  19        Attorneys for Defendants
       BY:  MARTIN GARBUS
  20        ERNEST HERNSTADT
            DAVID ATLAS
  21

  22

  23

  24

  25

                                                                413

   1            THE COURT:  Before we get started with the witness,

   2   let me just make a suggestion to you.

   3            We have been proceeding on the assumptions that

   4   everybody knows and that the record reflects such fundamental

   5   facts as what's a computer, what's an operating system, what's

   6   the Internet or the worldwide web, and so on.

   7            In the interest of having a complete record, it seems

   8   to me we ought not to assume those things.  So, I invite your

   9   attention to what I think are entirely uncontroversial

  10   findings on those points in U.S. v. Microsoft, basically

  11   defining the terms which is reported at 84 Fed.Supp.2d page 9.

  12   And the ones I thought particularly relevant were paragraphs

  13   1, 2, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 16, which simply lay out the

  14   background.

  15            I would invite you to look at them at some point and

  16   see whether you will stipulate to them.  And if you can't

  17   stipulate to them, address the question of why I shouldn't

  18   take judicial notice of the facts in those paragraphs.

  19   Obviously we are not trying the Microsoft case here.

  20            Let's proceed.

  21            MR. GARBUS:  Your Honor, may we approach the bench?

  22            THE COURT:  Yes.

  23            (At the sidebar)

  24            MR. GARBUS:  I have some suggested stipulations that

  25   may save a great deal of time and we may be able to -- (1)

                                                                414

   1   that there's no direct proof that any single copy of a movie

   2   has ever been sent out on the Internet, that is DeCSS and

   3   deencrypted --

   4            MR. GOLD:  If I may?  Your Honor, I would

   5   respectfully request that whatever stipulations Mr. Garbus may

   6   have in the case and whenever he has them, I would love to get

   7   them in writing so I can look at them and it seems to me the

   8   quickest way to do it, instead of grabbing a minute or two

   9   before a particular witness is examined --

  10            MR. GARBUS:  I'm trying to do this because of time.

  11            MR. SIMS:  Your Honor --

  12            THE COURT:  Don't everybody talk at once.

  13            I know you are, Mr. Garbus.  And I appreciate that

  14   you are trying to save time.  I don't want to take trial time

  15   unnecessarily with this.  I can't anticipate the discussion

  16   from yesterday's discussion and I think the solution on at

  17   least the one you read now is readily obvious, in light of the

  18   solution yesterday.

  19            I suspect that when Mr. Gold gets a chance to think

  20   about it, he will agree with the same caveats he agreed

  21   yesterday, that is, he's going to ask me to infer and he is

  22   going to want you to, at this point, I suppose that lots of

  23   people are offering movies that purport to be decrypted and

  24   that I should infer, even in the absence of specific knowledge

  25   as to what utility was used to decrypt them, that at least

                                                                415

   1   some of them were decrypted with DeCSS, and you will have your

   2   arguments on.

   3            Why don't you have that discussion between yourselves

   4   first.

   5            MR. SIMS:  We provided you five pages of proposed

   6   stipulations last week at the judge's request and we've never

   7   gotten any response and I've written about it.

   8            MR. GARBUS:  I haven't seen them.

   9            THE COURT:  Work that out.

  10            MR. GARBUS:  The other thing I wanted to mention is

  11   since your Court has been very sensitive about the whole issue

  12   of press, I wanted to mention that over the of the two days, I

  13   have not spoken to any representative of the press.  I have no

  14   objection to the fact that other people have spoken to members

  15   of press.  They have every right to do so.

  16            I just wanted to point that out.  We have not in over

  17   the last two days not spoken to a soul.

  18            THE COURT:  We are just not going to get into that,

  19   Mr. Garbus.  You have made your assertion.  Ms. Gross and the

  20   Electronic Frontier Foundation, which is I gather financing

  21   this case, and she's sitting at counsel table with you,

  22   weren't covered by your remarks I noticed.

  23            MR. GARBUS:  They were.

  24            THE COURT:  Nor were any of a number of other people.

  25   So, let's --

                                                                416

   1            MR. GARBUS:  I was talking about myself.

   2            THE COURT:  Let's just avoid all these protestations.

   3            MR GOLD:  Your Honor, in the late afternoon

   4   yesterday, you asked us several questions about turning over

   5   of drafts of Mr. Schumann's declaration and we have run that

   6   down at this point.  Is it appropriate to do it now or would

   7   you rather wait?

   8            THE COURT:  Did I ask you questions?  I just asked

   9   you to turn them over, if you had it.  What's the problem?

  10            MR GOLD:  What happened is when we verified this with

  11   the records, after the deposition, we got a letter from

  12   defendant's firm asking very specifically for documents.  They

  13   did not ask for the drafts of any declarations; however, they

  14   did ask for some specific materials and what Mr. Schumann did

  15   is turn over his whole file at that point.

  16            The file contained drafts that he had in his

  17   possession of this declaration.  Although they had not been

  18   asked for, we took Mr. Schumann's file and turned it all over,

  19   including declarations, to the defendants.

  20            I know your Honor doesn't want me to bring up other

  21   issues that we have about documents with the defendants, so I

  22   will not.  So, there were drafts and they were turned over.

  23            THE COURT:  All right.  Let's go.

  24            (In open court)

[Garbus for the defense is questioning]

 19   Q.  Do you know the name of any one person who was sharing

  20   films on the Internet who was sharing a film that has been

  21   deencrypted through DeCSS?

  22   A.  No, I don't.

  23   Q.  Have you ever seen a document from the MPAA, your studio,

  24   or any other studio that indicates that any attempt was made

  25   to learn the names of the people who allegedly claim on the

                                                                434

   1   Internet that they have used DeCSS to deencrypt movies?

   2            MR GOLD:  Your Honor, I object to the form of the

   3   question.

   4            THE COURT:  To the form, Mr. Gold?  What's wrong with

   5   the form?

   6            MR GOLD:  I thought it was compound and I didn't

   7   quite understand it myself.

   8            THE COURT:  Rephrase it, Mr. Garbus.

   9            MR. GARBUS:  Can I hear the question again?

  10            THE COURT:  Go ahead.

  11            (Record read)

  12            MR. GARBUS:  I can break it is down into six

  13   questions, if you want.

  14   Q.  Have you ever seen any document --

  15            THE COURT:  I do you think the sarcasm is helpful, or

  16   is that designed to provoke a reaction?

  17            MR. GARBUS:  No, no, no, no, just trying to save

  18   time.

  19            THE COURT:  Go ahead.

  20   Q.  Have you ever seen a document from the MPAA that gives you

  21   the name of any person on the Internet who allegedly is

  22   seeking to share a deencrypted movie?

  23   A.  No.

  24   Q.  Have you ever seen any document which shows any attempt

  25   made by the MPAA to learn the name of any person who allegedly

                                                                435

   1   shares a movie allegedly deencrypted through DeCSS?

   2   A.  No.

 6            MR. GARBUS:  Yes.  May I approach the bench?

   7            THE COURT:  Yes.

   8   Q.  Did you ever see that press release?

   9            MR. GOLD:  Your Honor, we are trying to come up with

  10   a copy of this.

  11            THE COURT:  Mr. Garbus, maybe you can give counsel a

  12   copy.

  13            MR. GOLD:  We have ZM.

  14            THE COURT:  Z as in zebra, Defendants' ZM.  Do you

  15   have it now, Mr. Gold?

  16            MR. GOLD:  Yes, ZM.

  17   Q.  Have you ever seen that press release before?

  18            MR. GOLD:  Your Honor, I believe -- this is a

  19   document as to which you have held it is work product.

  20            THE COURT:  What?

  21            MR. GOLD:  We have made the assertion that this is

  22   work product, this document.

  23            THE COURT:  This is one of the things that was

  24   produced under the no waiver?

  25            MR. GOLD:  Yes, your Honor.

                                                                456

   1            MR. HERNSTADT:  No, your Honor, that one wasn't.

   2   There may have been others.

   3            THE COURT:  It has a Bates number on it.  You fellows

   4   ought to be able to figure this out.

   5            MR. HERNSTADT:  All the no waiver documents were

   6   stamped.

   7            MR. SIMS:  This was officially produced without a

   8   stamp, and we sent them a letter, it was privileged as they

   9   know because they have seen the other documents.  It was never

  10   released as a press release and it was drafted largely by

  11   lawyers.

  12            THE COURT:  Look, Mr. Garbus, I think you are

  13   entitled to find out at a minimum whether it was ever

  14   released, because if it was there is no question of privilege.

  15   So, see if you can deal with that.

  16            MR. GARBUS:  Mr. Gold, was it ever released?

  17            MR. GOLD:  We were advised it was not released.

  18            THE COURT:  Mr. Gold is not the witness.

  19   Q.  Ms. King, do you know if it was ever released?

  20   A.  I don't think it was released.

  21   Q.  Have you ever seen any statements made by Mr. Valenti

  22   saying that the so-called CSS hack is useless?

  23   A.  Well, I may have seen this draft.

  24            THE COURT:  That's not the question.  Forget the

  25   document.

                                                                457

   1            THE WITNESS:  Okay.

 8            MR. GARBUS:  Can we just approach the bench for a

   9   moment, your Honor?

  10            THE COURT:  I'm sorry?

  11            MR. GARBUS:  Can we approach the bench for a moment?

  12            THE COURT:  Yes.

  13            (At the sidebar)

  14            MR. GARBUS:  I'm not going to pursue this line of

  15   inquiry any further.  It seems perfectly obvious to me that

  16   even before the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 that anyone

  17   who was thinking of releasing any product into the consumer

  18   market was extraordinarily concerned about security.

  19            What this witness has just answered is, and I don't

  20   remember her question and answer, that you were not going to

  21   have a product released, she just gave a "yes" to my last

  22   question.  I'm not going to state it here and I'm not going to

  23   go any further with it, but it's inconceivable to me -- I

  24   won't say what's inconceivable to me.

  25            MR GOLD:  Your Honor, the witness has testified that

                                                                474

   1   Warner had made the decision that they were not going to

   2   release DVDs unless there was an encryption system that they

   3   felt good about.  She also testified that at the meeting, she

   4   went to in the industry, she heard and knew that the other

   5   studios felt the same way.

   6            THE COURT:  Look, I don't have to hear all of that.

   7   This is exceptionally simple.  The only reason I raise the

   8   question is because quite apart from what the parties have

   9   raised, I have an independent obligation under Section

  10   455(b)(2) of the Code to disqualify myself if it appears that

  11   someone with whom I practiced law at the time I did so was

  12   engaged by a party "concerning the matter."

  13            It is a subject in the context of this case on which

  14   I have no knowledge of my own.  I am entirely at the mercy of

  15   what the parties put before me.  I don't know that I had.  An

  16   obligation extending so far as to ask the question that I did,

  17   but I now have before me the witness' deposition testimony.  I

  18   have what she said here.

  19            I have the affidavits that were put before me on the

  20   motion.  And the issue is, as far as I'm concerned, closed

  21   absent new evidence.  I do not view this trial as a discovery

  22   proceeding for the purpose of conducting an expedition in

  23   search of that new evidence.  Obviously, if there is such

  24   evidence and it requires my disqualification, I will readily

  25   do so, but I haven't seen it and what we are here to try now

                                                                475

   1   is this case.

   2            MR. GARBUS:  So, can I understand something?  So,

   3   then I should not continue the line of questioning leading

   4   from the AHRA of '92 up to '95 and '96?

   5            THE COURT:  I can't make abstract rulings like that.

   6   I believe that I said in my opinion, Mr. Garbus, that one

   7   reasonably might infer, although I don't have the text in

   8   front of me, that somebody probably thought about security at

   9   some earlier point, but somebody thinking about security and

  10   my partner, former partner, having been engaged with respect

  11   to security, if indeed that would be enough, which I express

  12   no view on right now, in the period prior to August 22, 1994

  13   is a whole other matter.

  14            MR. GARBUS:  Thank you.

   3   Q.  And let me, just getting away from the contracts, see if I

   4   can understand something.  If I go into Tower and buy a Warner

   5   Brother DVD, give me the name of a film that Warner Brothers

   6   makes so we can make it more specific.

   7            THE COURT:  It would have to have Tom Hanks and Meg

   8   Ryan.

   9   A.  "Matrix."  "You've Got Mail"; it's our movie.

  10            MR. GARBUS:  We'll use the judge's movie.

  11   Q.  "Sleepless In Seattle"?

  12   A.  Not our movie.

  13   Q.  Sorry.  "You've Got Mail."  If I go in, am I authorized by

  14   Warner Brothers from whom I buy it to look at that DVD?

  15   A.  Sure.

  16   Q.  Am I authorized by Warner Brothers to -- with respect to

  17   that DVD to somehow break it down so that I can look at it in

  18   my video box?

  19            THE COURT:  What's a video box?  What do you mean by

  20   that?

  21            MR. GARBUS:  Video player.

  22            MR GOLD:  Your Honor, I object to the question.

  23            THE COURT:  Sustained.

  24   Q.  Am I authorized by Warner Brothers to make a copy of that

  25   DVD?

                                                                487

   1   A.  No.

   2   Q.  Am I authorized by Warner Brothers to take that DVD to an

   3   unauthorized player, one that does not have a contract with

   4   the DVD-CCA?

   5            MR GOLD:  Your Honor, I cannot understand the

   6   relevance of this line.  He may be planning other lawsuits,

   7   but I don't understand the relevance to this one.

   8            THE COURT:  Look, Mr. Garbus, it seems to me that

   9   what this is beginning to sound like is the start of a debate

  10   between you and the witness about what the Copyright Act

  11   permits the buyer of a copyrighted work to do with it.

  12            If that's what it is, that's a debate that you and

  13   Mr. Gold will have and I will decide.  It's a legal question.

  14   And it's not a matter for testimony.  If it's something else,

  15   I don't perceive what it might be.

  16            MR. GARBUS:  It's not a debate.  I just want to find

  17   out the facts as Warner Brothers understands it.

  18            THE COURT:  So, you want Warner Brothers'

  19   understanding of what the Copyright Act provides?

  20            MR. GARBUS:  No.  I want to know, she stands there on

  21   behalf of Warner Brothers.  And I want to know if I can

  22   whether as she -- in my contract, if you will, when I buy this

  23   from Tower, can I play this on any player, anywhere, anywhere

  24   in the world?  That's what I want to know.

  25            THE COURT:  The objection is sustained.

                                                                488

   1            The law is what it is.  And arguing with the witness

   2   about it, even in an entirely amicable way is not an

   3   appropriate part of this trial.

   4            MR. GARBUS:  Well, it seems to me, and I'm not going

   5   to press it, and I say this amicably that it's a way of

   6   getting at least the facts in with respect to -- unless we can

   7   stipulate.

   8            THE COURT:  But the facts are perfectly obvious.

   9   There is no contract between Warner and the ultimate consumer.

  10   Warner sells the disks to whomever they sell them to.  Tower

  11   buys them from somebody.

  12            Tower then sells the disk to you or to whomever else

  13   and whatever rights you acquire beyond the naked ownership of

  14   the project, the hunk of plastic that constitutes the disk is

  15   a function of the Copyright Act and the DMCA and whatever

  16   other legislation is appropriate.

  17            MR. GARBUS:  Excuse me.

  18            THE COURT:  It's not a factual matter.

  19            (Pause)

 19   Q.  And is Macrovision utilized on DVDs?

  20   A.  Yes, it is.

  21   Q.  How?

  22   A.  It's used to protect analog content through two systems,

  23   one called Automatic Gain Control, AGC, and something called

  24   color burst, I believe.

  25   Q.  Have you ever seen a Macrovision report dated November 15

                                                                522

   1   saying that the encryption system is weak, useless and,

   2   however, will not be of any use to hackers in making illegal

   3   copies?

   4            MR. GOLD:  Your Honor, is that a quote from the

   5   article?

   6            THE COURT:  I don't know what it is.

   7            MR. GOLD:  I object to the form of the question.

   8            THE COURT:  Sustained as to form.

   9   Q.  Looking at 2.2.2, it says the content scrambling scheme is

  10   relatively unsophisticated.  And this was furnished to Warner

  11   Home Video back in April 30, 1997, and it goes from you to

  12   Mr. Cookson.

  13            Did you and Mr. Cookson have any discussion about

  14   that sentence?

  15   A.  I can't recall whether we discussed this particular

  16   sentence.

  17   Q.  Did you have any discussion with him about the weakness of

  18   CSS?

  19            MR. GOLD:  Your Honor, clearly this goes to

  20   effectiveness, and I think that you blocked that area of

  21   inquiry, that you ruled on that area of inquiry yesterday.

  22            THE COURT:  What about that, Mr. Garbus?

  23            MR. GARBUS:  If you want, I will get away from it.  I

  24   think the issue --

  25            THE COURT:  That's not the point, Mr. Garbus.  The

                                                                523

   1   point is to respond to the objection.

   2            MR. GARBUS:  I think the objection is incorrect.  I

   3   think it's relevant whether or not the movie studios knew back

   4   in April of 1997 that DeCSS was unsophisticated and could be

   5   easily broken.

   6            THE COURT:  It's relevant for what purpose?

   7            MR. GARBUS:  Pardon me, I said DeCSS.  I think it's

   8   relevant in this case to show that they knew that this CSS

   9   could not control access to the product that they had.

  10            THE COURT:  Objection sustained.

  11            MR. GARBUS:  It also goes to the question I think of

  12   harm, namely if we show that they knew in 1997 that this

  13   encryption system was to be what I understand it, then if they

  14   suffered harm knowing that, then I think that's relevant to

  15   the question of the harm that they suffered.

  16            THE COURT:  So, in other words, if somebody put a

  17   crummy lock on their door and a burglar goes through it, there

  18   is no crime.  Is that your point?

  19            MR. GARBUS:  That's not what I'm saying.

  20            THE COURT:  Okay.  Objection sustained.

  21            MR. GARBUS:  Not what I'm saying.  A burglar is not

  22   dealing with the DMCA or copyright law.

  23            THE COURT:  No, the burglar is dealing with a penal

  24   law that says in substance you can't circumvent controls that

  25   limit access to your apartment, Mr. Garbus.

                                                                524

   1            MR. GARBUS:  Shall I then stop asking questions?

   2            THE COURT:  Mr. Garbus, I'm ruling on them one at a

   3   time.

 16   Q.  Do you believe in January of 2000 that your public,

  17   Warner's public, was jittery about the crack of the BSD could

  18   lose faith in the --

  19            MR. GARBUS:  I object to the form of the question.

  20            THE COURT:  Sustained.

  21            MR. GARBUS:  If the witness hasn't been told thus far

  22   what to answer --

  23            THE COURT:  That was unnecessary.

  24            Anything else, Mr. Gold?

  25            MR GOLD:  Yes.

                                                                546

   1   Q.  What is your present judgment, Ms. King, about the

   2   incentives to use DeCSS to copy and transmit Warner DVDs?

   3            MR. GARBUS:  Object to the question.

   4            THE COURT:  On what ground?

   5            MR. GARBUS:  That he's told him what to testify to

   6   already.

   7            THE COURT:  This will be a very short trial if we

   8   exclude the witnesses called by both parties on the theory

   9   that each lawyer has told them what to say.

  10            Overruled.

  11            THE WITNESS:  Can you repeat the question, please?

  12            THE COURT:  I think we could get rid of all trials in

  13   America on that ground.

  14            MR. GOLD:  When I used that statement at lunch in a

  15   different context, my listener said, well, will that be a bad

  16   thing?

  17            THE COURT:  Don't answer that, Ms. King.

  18            MR. GOLD:  I said, yes.

  19            THE COURT:  Come on.  Is there another question?

  20   BY MR. GOLD:

  21   Q.  What is your present judgment, Ms. King, about the

  22   incentives to use DeCSS to copy Warner DVDs?

  23            MR. GARBUS:  I'll object to it, that there's been no

  24   proof that DeCSS is being used to transmit any DVDs.

  25            THE COURT:  Overruled.