Politech mailing list archives

FC: Commerce Dept's NTIA responds to cable TV 'digital divide'

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:56:55 -0500

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:22:08 -0500
From: Art Brodsky <arb () well com>
To: declan () well com, apowell () freedomforum org
Subject: Re: FC: US redefines 'digital divide' to include... no cable TV!

Declan,
 While I hate to contradict Adam Powell, he didn't hear correctly what
Greg Rohde said during the Media Institute speech.  He did not say that
the government will fund analog TV service to rural area.  (Note the
report in this morning's Broadcasting & Cable fax.)

 What he did say is that as a facet of his general concerns over a
digital divide -- that is, a significant part of the population being
left behind by technological advances available to others -- the NTIA is
looking into the question of how rural TV viewers could be able to
receive the same types of service that will be increasingly available to
urban viewers in a package provided by satellite operators.  As you
know, Congress at the end of last session passed a copyright overhaul
bill that included authority for the so-called "local into local"
authority that lets satellite carriers for the first time rebroadcast
local signals into those markets.  But the Hill couldn't reach agreement
on the question, raised by Senators Burns and Baucus, and Congressmen
Goodlatte and Boucher, about what to do with rural areas.

As a result, Baucus has already introduced a bill, and the House members
are due to at some point, on that topic.  The discussion at the end of
the last session centered on a loan guarantee program, Baucus' bill has
that element in it as well.  Two senate committees (Banking and
Agriculture) and one House Committee (Ag.) have already had hearings on
the matter.  Greg said he is willing to work with congress on the loan
guarantee approach, which as I said, is generated by the Hill.

At NTIA, the agency is conducting an inquiry to help provide some other
information on what types of technology, perhaps other than satellite,
can be used to make certain that rural populations aren't left behind.
NTIA will issue a federal register notice shortly and hold a roundtable
early next month on the topic.

If you or other readers have questions, they can email me here or to
abrodsky () ntia doc gov.

Art Brodsky
NTIA