Politech mailing list archives

FC: Free speech advocates fret about NAS Net-porn commission

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:52:32 -0500

[A look back at the Meese Commission might be instructive. In 1985, President Reagan ordered his Justice Department to create that porn commission. Reagan likened the effort to closing hazardous waste sites, and in all seriousness said "it was about time we did the same with the worst sources of pornography." Prof. de Grazia in "Girls Lean Back Everywhere" writes that 160 of 208 commission witnesses were anti-porn. Linda Lovelace of Deep Throat fame showed up to make the dubious claim that she was "a victim of pornography," and some commissioners spent their time quizzing witnesses about their vibrator collections. The commission staff, joined by Donald Wildmon and Jerry Falwell, even pressured 7-11 to stop selling Penthouse and Playboy magazines. More recently, when defending the CDA, the Justice Department used the Meese commission report as a defense in court. The combination of sex and the Net makes politicos terribly twitchy. See GOP complaints that Clinton administration hasn't done enough in the area: http://www.politechbot.com/p-01186.html --Declan]