Politech mailing list archives

FC: Rep. Bliley applauds conversion to decimals, condemns fractions

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:39:04 -0500

*******

 Pat Buchanan cites dangers of European "celsius" scale, warns French use it
 Majority Leader Lott applauds "pi," lauds 3.14159 as a "way cool number"

*******

From: House_Commerce_Press/CC00 () com-notes house gov
Sender: Pete_V._Sheffield/CC00 () com-notes house gov
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:59:49 -0400
Subject: Bliley Applauds Island?s Conversion to Decimal P
        ricing

For Immediate Release:
Contact: Peter Sheffield
Wednesday, April 19, 2000
202.225.5735

Bliley Applauds Island
?s Conversion to Decimal Pricing

Washington (April 19) -- Chairman Tom Bliley (R-VA) has applauded today?s
announcement from Island ECN that it will begin trading in decimals as of July
3, 2000.

     Chairman Bliley today released the following statement:

"Free Markets are powerful things. For years we have been hearing excuses
about why the stock markets could not be priced in dollars and cents.  The
Exchanges said it would be too expensive to convert.  The SEC said it would
cause confusion. We were told we would have to wait. Meanwhile, investors have
been missing out on $2 billion in annual savings that decimal pricing would
bring.

"Today the wait is over. Island ECN will convert its systems to decimals.

"The Island book will make these prices available for free in real time on
the Internet.  It will have superior information to the non-converted NASDAQ
tape.

     "For too long the United States has stood as the only developed nation
continuing the antiquated practice of trading in fractions.  And this
inexcusable reality has been at the expense of American investors. The time has
come for true competition, and for stocks to be priced in dollars and cents.

"Hats off to Island for converting stock trades from fractions to decimals.
This move is pro-consumer and free market friendly, pure and simple.

     "I call on the SEC and the Exchanges to follow suit -- enough excuses.
Convert now before the markets leave you behind."
- 30 -