Politech mailing list archives

FC: US Chamber of Commerce to Congress: Pass SAFE crypto-bill now!

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 00:32:48 -0400

[I had an off-the-record lunch this week with five other folks including a
former spook who follow crypto policy. One of the things we talked about was
how the White House encryption announcement effectively kills SAFE. No longer
will House Democrats -- including the leadership -- rally to supuport it and
force a floor vote. Also the move could divide business groups (who got
much of
what they wanted) from privacy groups (who didn't), so it is refreshing to see
the Chamber weigh in here. --Declan]