Politech mailing list archives

FC: Federalist Society discussion on history of First Amendment

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 00:24:29 -0400

****

From: Mark.F.Schultz () BakerNet com
:

        ::
:
        ::
:
To: declan () well com
Subject: RE: More on Sen. Hatch and talking about crimes being illegal
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:32:18 -0500
:

Dear Declan:

I read with interest your e-mail that included Solveig Singleton's
discussion of the 19th Century First Amendment.  The Federalist Society, an
organization of conservative and libertarian lawyers, will be hosting a
discussion on that topic as part of its annual national convention in in
Washington, D.C. Saturday, November 13, 1:00-3:00 p.m. All are welcome to
attend.  You can find out more at http://www.fed-soc.org/99convention.html
<http://www.fed-soc.org/99convention.html> ; there will be a number of
events at the convention of interest to members of this list. The quality of
the speakers and the discussion is always very impressive.

By the way, frequent contributor Eugene Volokh is an active member of the
Society (as am I), and Solveig Singleton, Andy Shapiro and others on this
list have appeared at our events (like I said, impressive speakers, right?).

Mark Schultz
Baker & McKenzie
Chicago, Illinois
Mark.F.Schultz () Bakernet com <mailto:Mark.F.Schultz () Bakernet com>

Back to the Future: What 21st Century Legal Culture Can Learn from the 19th
Century's First Amendment

Contrary to what one might gather from a typical First Amendment class, free
speech, religious freedom, and church-state
debates in America did not originate in this century. Rather, American
lawyers, legislators, judges, and citizens were hotly
debating these issues throughout the 1800s; but because many of these
debates did not fossilize in court cases as they did in the 20th century --
especially U.S. Supreme Court cases - they have been largely ignored by law
schools. In recent years, top
scholars have begun to rediscover this rich, exciting tradition of
constitutional controversy and jurisprudence. This panel will
feature some of these legal historians, and is almost certain to reveal much
that is news to most lawyers. How did we get where we are today in the First
Amendment arena? How should the complete history of free speech, religious
freedom, and
church-state relations inform our understanding and application of the First
Amendment as we move into the 21st century?

     Prof. Gerald Bradley, Notre Dame Law School
     Prof. Michael Kent Curtis, Wake Forest Law School
     Prof. David Rabban, University of Texas Law School
     Hon. Diarmuid O'Scannlain, U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit