Politech mailing list archives

FC: Xerox fires 40 employees for viewing porn

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 00:16:18 -0400

[When I worked at Xerox on the Webster campus we didn't even have PCs. On
my desk I had a Xerox Star which was pretty funky. Had keys like "move" and
"copy" that, once you got used to the interface, were real handy. --DBM]

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-809024.html?tag=st.ne.ron.lthd.1003-200
-809024

     Xerox fires 40 for online
     pornography on clock
     By Bloomberg News
     Special to CNET News.com
     October 6, 1999, 11:55 a.m. PT

     STAMFORD, Connecticut-- Xerox, the world's biggest
     copier maker, has fired about 40 employees this year for
     looking at pornographic Internet sites at work, the
     Rochester Democrat & Chronicle reported in its online
     edition.

     Xerox last spring began using hardware and software to track
     the Internet use of its 92,000 employees. Those fired spent too
     much time on "non-Xerox related sites," said spokeswoman
     Christa Carone.

     "This is more than somebody checking out sports scores
     online," she told the paper.

     [...]