Politech mailing list archives

FC: Aussies blame US military for cyberattack; US accuses Russia

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 00:12:46 -0400

[Note two there are two different alleged incidents -- and I'd be hesitant
to believe either without more proof than anyone has offered publicly. --DBM]

http://www.smh.com.au/news/9910/04/national/national10.html

Australian Stock Exchange foils US hackers
Sydney Morning Herald 04-Oct-99

Computer hackers from a United States military installation tried to break
into the Australian Stock Exchange's database, its managing director, Mr
Richard Humphry, said yesterday.

Mr Humphry said authorities were notified after the hackers from the US
military installation tried to break into the site and "broke into another
site to achieve that objective".

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/19991006/tc/russia_usa_1.html

              WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A major effort to pierce U.S.
government and private-sector computer networks seems to have originated in
Russia, a top U.S. law-enforcement officer told Congress Wednesday.

Lifting the veil on an investigation he said had been under way for more
than a year, Michael Vatis of
the Federal Bureau of Investigation said intruders had stolen
``unclassified but still-sensitive information
about essentially defense technical research matters.''

``About the furthest I can go is to say the intrusions appear to originate
in Russia,'' said Vatis, who
heads the FBI-led National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC), a
bulwark against threats to the
electronic lifelines of U.S. society.