Politech mailing list archives

FC: Responses on Net-filters from EF Australia, K.Daguio

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:29:21 -0500

************

From: TeamDaguio () aol com
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:42:40 EST
Subject: Re: FC: Followup: Australians do not have to buy filters
To: declan () well com, politech () vorlon mit edu

In the US it is not uncommon for an industry (like financial services)
to establish technical standards, best practices, codes, and guidelines
that are reasonable, become entrenched and then lead to expectations,
regulations, and case law that are as powerful as statute written by a
legislature.

Privacy and security are typical examples.

If we were to declare a common information protection practice to be
"unreasonable" as in not a "commercially reasonable security" practice and
publicized that determination, the institutions engaging in that practice
would likely lose nearly every court case involving a security related
dispute.

Telling people what your privacy practices are in disclosures and contracts
gives consumers many different avenues of action against institutions that
are not following their own published policies.  (regulatory enforcement and
litigation or legislation)

This is why our focus is on showing people how things work or should work
rather than just talking about the right way to do things.   If something is
not working right we try to fix it first and then show others how the
mitigation measures worked.  This approach leads to credibility and
confidence in the system.

If you police your own community properly you often get either a lesser
degree of externally imposed regulatory burden or a reasonably focused
regime.  Of course compromising core values is never an option.

It looks like this approach worked in Australia.

Aloha...Kawika Daguio...
EVP- Financial Information Protection Association (North America)