Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pentesting on databases?

From: Eric Schultz <fire0088 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:00:38 -0400

Hey stayp0s,

here are a few things you may want to test:

1.SA accounts with blank passwords
2.Unauthorized user accounts that can access the DB. For MSSQL,
sometimes the domain user group gets added to the access list.
3.SQL injection on the applications that use the database
4.Open shares/applications on the database server
5. Any unpatched vulnerabilties (nmap can display service pack level I believe)

For the first two, you can use metasploit modules. for MSSQL, the
auxillary/admin/mssql/mssql_enum module has given me good information,
excpet the publically availible stored procedures returned a few false
positives (the stored procedures didnt exist, but the module said they
could be run).

If you find valid credentials, you can use a program to test
conenctivity to the database and see if you can read/modify/insert
data, views or edit functions. I use Navicat, but the free version
stopped being offered. There should be similar tools out there.

Hope this helps,
Eric Schultz
Blue Canopy